14.4.09

The Letters


Vincent van Gogh: The Letters
Dear Mother,

I intended to answer your letter many days ago, but I could not bring myself to write, as I sat painting from morning to evening, and thus the time passed. I imagine that, like me, your thoughts are much with Jo and Theo: how glad I was when the news came that it had ended well: it was a good thing that Wil stayed on. I should have greatly preferred him to call the boy after Father, of whom I have been thinking so much these days, instead of after me; but seeing it has now been done, I started right away to make a picture for him, to hang in their bedroom, big branches of white almond blossom against a blue sky.

I thank you very much for the news about Cor, don't forget to give him my regards when you write him. I suppose you will be back in Leyden by now. These last days we have had rather bad weather here, but today it was a real spring day, and the fields of young wheat, with the violet hills in the distance, are so beautiful, and the almond trees are beginning to blossom everywhere.
- - - - - - - - -

A very beautiful present wasn't it.....Almond Blossoms..from Vincent van Gogh!

Please go HERE to find more about Vincent..

6 comments:

Heidi said...

I am struck by Vincent telling his mother time slipped away while painting. I understand that. I start to quilt or stitch and this happens to me. A day can just disappear. Let's hope the beautiful blossoms out all over Holland don't disappear too fast. It is so pretty this year.

Hugs ~
Heidi

abcd said...

Thank you for the good wishes Duchess. I hope you had a lovely Easter too.
What an amazing gift, how lucky they were!

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

What words can evoke in your mind...I can just see the blossoms in my imagination! Oh dear Dutchess, you have an amazing heritage. Dutch art is my favorite style of painting. Truly masters at this craft. Have a splendid day my friend. Anita

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Yes, lovely present.

And his letter was too, I'm sure.

We can't all paint, but we all can write letters. :-)

'Aunt Amelia'

A Bit of the Blarney said...

In this letter we see the tender part of "Vincent" and it was a pleasure to read; Thank you for it and the lovely picture! Cathy

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, a most beautiful present indeed.